PROXIMITY Three Operas by Roumain, Shaw, Adams Chicago IL 2023
MORE VIDEO FILES: b>VIDEO, VIDEO, VIDEO, VIDEO, VIDEO, VIDEO
Information on the Performance
- Work Title: Proximity: The Walkers, Four Portraits, Night
- Composer: Daniel Bernard Roumain, Caroline Shaw, John Luther Adams
- Libretto: Anna Deavere Smith, Caroline Shaw, Jocelyn Clarke, John Haines    Libretto Text, Libretto Index
- Venue & Opera Company: Lyric Opera of Chicago, Illinois
- Recorded: March 2023
- Type: Staged Opera Live
- Singers: John Holiday, Lucia Lucas, Whitney Morrison, Kearstin Piper Brown, Zoie Reams, Gordon Hawkins, Issachah Savage, Norman Garrett, Kamari Saxon, Ron Dukes, Kathryn Henry, Lindsey Reynolds, Stephanie Sanchez, Kathleen Felty, Cornelius Johnson, Alejandro Luévanos, Darren Drone, Jeff Parker, Jamion Cotten
- Conductor: Kazem Abdullah
- Chorus Master: Michael Black
- Choreographer: Rena Butler
Information about the Recording
- Format: Streaming
- Quality Video: 4 Audio:4
- Subtitles: nosubs
- This Recording is NOT AVAILABLE from a proper commercial or public source
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THIS PERFORMANCE
Sure to be one of the most widely heralded musical events of 2022/23, Proximity is a gripping, powerful trio of new works that confronts head-on some of the greatest challenges affecting us as a society: yearning for connection in a world driven by technology; the devastating impact of gun violence on cities and neighborhoods; and the need to respect and protect our natural resources. As the story zooms in and out from the individual to the community to the cosmic, we find ourselves in a compelling snapshot of 21st century life, with all of its complex intersections and commonalities. This new Lyric commission, bringing together a complement of some of the most important creative minds of our time, including winners of the Pulitzer Prize, Grammy Awards, and the MacArthur Genius Grant, promises to be by turns riveting, provocative, and inspiring.
The Walkers Composed by Daniel Bernard Roumain with libretto by Anna Deavere Smith.
Four Portraits Composed by Caroline Shaw with libretto by Caroline Shaw and Jocelyn Clarke.
Night Composed by John Luther Adams with libretto by John Haines.