FULL IL MATRIMONIO SEGRETO Milan 2022 Pietro Spagnoli, Francesca Pia Vitale, Greta Doveri, Mara Gaudenzi
Information on the Performance
- Work Title: Il matrimonio segreto
- Composer: Cimarosa Domenico
- Libretto: Giovanni Bertati    Libretto Text, Libretto Index
- Venue & Opera Company: Teatro alla Scala, Milano, Italy
- Recorded: 2022
- Type: Staged Opera Live
- Singers: Pietro Spagnoli, Francesca Pia Vitale, Greta Doveri, Mara Gaudenzi, Sung-Hwan Damien Park, Paolo Nevi
- Conductor: Ottavio Dantone
- Orchestra: Orchestra dell'Accademia Teatro alla Scala
- Stage Director: Irina Brook
- Stage Designer: Patrick Kinmonth
- Costume Designer: Patrick Kinmonth
- Lighting Designer: Marco Filibeck
Information about the Recording
- Published by: intesasanpaolo.com
- Date Published: 2023
- Format: Streaming
- Quality Video: 4 Audio:4
- Subtitles: nosubs
- Video Recording from: intesasanpaolo.com     FULL VIDEO
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THIS PERFORMANCE
Il matrimonio segreto (The Secret Marriage) is a dramma giocoso in two acts, music by Domenico Cimarosa, on a libretto by Giovanni Bertati, based on the 1766 play The Clandestine Marriage by George Colman the Elder and David Garrick. It was first performed on 7 February 1792 at the Imperial Hofburg Theatre in Vienna in the presence of Emperor Leopold II.
Cimarosa’s only work still to be regularly performed, it is arguably one of the greatest 18th century opera buffa apart from those by Mozart. Its premiere was the occasion of the longest encore in operatic history; Leopold II was so delighted that he ordered supper served to the company and the entire opera repeated immediately after without the orchestra, with the composer accompanying on the harpsichord.
The Italian premiere of the opera was given at La Scala in Milan on 17 February 1793 with Maria Gazzotti as Carolina and Vincenzo Del Moro as Paolino. On 23 May, the same year, it arrived at the Teatre de la Santa Creu in Barcelona. England saw the work for the first time on 11 January 1794 at The King’s Theatre in London and the following 6 August it was performed for the first time in Portugal at the Teatro Nacional de São Carlos in Lisbon with Domenico Caporalini as Carolina and Luigi Bruschi as Paolino. The French premiere was given by the Théâtre-Italien in Paris on 10 May 1801 with Teresa Strinasacchi Avogadro as Carolina and Gustavo Lazzarini as Paolino.
Il matrimonio segreto was first performed in the United States at the Italian Opera House in New York City on 8 January 1834. The Metropolitan Opera presented the work for the first time on 25 February 1937 with Muriel Dickson as Carolina, George Rasely as Paolino, Natalie Bodanya as Elisetta, Julius Huehn as Robinson, and Ettore Panizza conducting.