FULL The Wedding Day Bangkok 2021 Korea Creative Opera
Information on the Performance
- Work Title: The Wedding Day
- Composer: traditional Korean Opera
- Libretto: traditional    Libretto Text, Libretto Index
- Venue & Opera Company: National Cultural Center of Thailand, Bangkok, Thailand, Korea Creative Opera
- Recorded: December 20, 2021
- Type: Staged Opera Live
- Singers: unknown
- Conductor: Yang Jin Mo
- Stage Director: Hong Ji Won
- Costume Designer:
Information about the Recording
- Published by: Korean Cultural Center in Thailand
- Date Published: 2022
- Format: Streaming
- Quality Video: 4 Audio:4
- Subtitles: yessubs, othersubs
- Video Recording from: YouTube     FULL VIDEO
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THIS PERFORMANCE
This work is based on the theme of weddings during ceremonial occasions. Starting with Beijing in 2012, it has performed in 8 cities in China, including Shanghai and Xi’an, as well as in Russia. In particular, this Thai performance is the first attempt of a Korean creative opera.
The story is Jinsa Maeng Tae-ryang is greedy, and in order to marry Kwon Moon-se for the glory of the family, he enters into the engagement without seeing the groom’s face. However, her groom, Mi-eon, falls in love with the good-natured sweetheart of her servant girl, and in order to marry her, she plots that the person who will become Maeng Jin-sa’s son-in-law is the lame man of the Hunchback.
After much thought, Jin-sa Maeng devises a ruse to make Gab-bun’s servant, Pretty, a bride for the wedding. Gabbun is sent to Unsangol’s uncle’s house. The groom, Mieon, who arrived at Maengjinsa’s house on the day of the wedding, was not a disabled person, but an outstanding bookkeeper. But it was already too late. Jin-sa Maeng, surprised by this, postpones the wedding date and tries to bring Gab-bun, but Mi-eon forms a marriage relationship with the pretty girl and goes to the groom’s house.