ROMEO ET JULIETTE Malmö 2022 Kseniia Proshina, Sehoon Moon, Orhan Yildiz, Alexander Roslavets
MORE VIDEO FILES: b>VIDEO, VIDEO
Information on the Performance
- Work Title: Romeo et Juliette Composer: Libretto:
- Composer: Gounod Charles
- Libretto: Michel Carré, Jules Barbier    Libretto Text, Libretto Index
- Venue & Opera Company: Malmä Opera Sweden
- Recorded: November 27, 2022
- Type: Staged Opera Live
- Singers: Kseniia Proshina, Sehoon Moon, Orhan Yildiz, Alexander Roslavets, Mark Stone, Thomas Volle, Emma Sventelius, Francine Vis, Stefano Olcese, Eric Lavoipierre, Darko Neshovski, Johan Bogren
- Conductor: Patrik Ringborg
- Orchestra: Malmö Operaorkester
- Chorus: Malmö Operakör
- Choreographer: Michael Barry
Information about the Recording
- Published by: Malmö Oper
- Date Published: 2022
- Format: Streaming
- Quality Video: 4 Audio:4
- Subtitles: yessubs, ensubs
- Video Recording from: Malmö Opera     FULL VIDEO
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THIS PERFORMANCE
It is New Year’s Eve 1889, on the brink of a new decade. In the heart of New York, the rich Capulet family has invited to a spectacular circus party. On this very magical night, daughter Juliette meets the love of her life, Roméo. But Roméo belongs to the enemy Montague family, immigrants from Italy who fight with the Capulet family for power over the business activities on the shadow side of New York.
When the party is over, the dark, dangerous and suffocating reality intrudes. Roméo and Juliette don’t stand a chance when the conflict between their families erupts into a bloody gang war that ends in tragedy.
LONGED FOR SUCCESS
The 19th-century French composer Charles Gounod’s version of Shakespeare’s classic love story was an immediate success at its premiere at the Théàtre Lyrique in Paris in 1867. Something he desperately needed after trying three times to write an opera that could live up to the success of Faust a decade earlier.
Gounod had considered making an opera of Romeo and Juliet for a long time and once he got started, he put his whole soul into the work. He isolated himself in the small coastal town of Saint-Raphael in Provence to compose undisturbed. In a month he had a finished draft and a year later the whole opera was ready.
A curiosity is that Gounod dedicated his work to Sweden’s King Karl XV.
Malmö Opera has performed the opera in concert on two occasions, the Malmö Festival and the Copenhagen Opera Festival. Opera! Magazine reviewed: “Ringborg loves the big gestures – broad, clear lines, which reach the core through the details. In Proshina and Moon, he has two strong leading roles.”