FULL Betrothal in a Monastery Sao Paulo 2015 Lidia Schaffer, Sávio Sperandio, Anibal Mancini, Marly Montoni
Information on the Performance
- Work Title: Betrothal in a Monastery aka Duenja aka Obrucheniye v monastïre
- Composer: Prokofjev Sergei
- Libretto: Sergei Prokofjev, Mira Mendelson    Libretto Text, Libretto Index
- Venue & Opera Company: Teatro Sao Pedro, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Recorded: August 2015
- Type: Staged Opera Live
- Singers: Lidia Schaffer, Sávio Sperandio, Anibal Mancini, Marly Montoni
- Conductor: Andre Dos Santos, Luiz Fernando Malheiro
- Stage Director: Bruno Berger-Gorski
- Stage Designer: Renato Theobaldo
- Costume Designer:
Information about the Recording
- Published by: Bruno Berger-Gorski
- Date Published: 2023
- Format: Streaming
- Quality Video: 4 Audio:4
- Subtitles: nosubs
- Video Recording from: YouTube     FULL VIDEO
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THIS PERFORMANCE
“This is a deliciously fun opera, which gives many opportunities to a large number of soloists”, says the artistic director of the Theater, Luiz Fernando Malheiro.
The opera, based on the text “The Duenna”, by the Irishman Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1751-1816), involves three couples in a game of lies and surprises.
It’s a dynamic similar to Mozart’s “Marriage of Figaro”, which Theatro São Pedro exhibited last year and was voted the third best of the year by Guia da Folha .
“As in Mozart’s opera, the maid is more intelligent than the bosses and the nobles”, says the scenic director, the German Bruno Berger-Gorski.
In the work of Prokofiev (1891-1953), the wealthy Don Jerome wants to marry his daughter Louisa to the merchant Mendoza, but it is Duenna, the housekeeper, who is interested in the man.
The two hatch a plan involving Louisa’s beloved, Don Antonio, her brother, Ferdinando, and Clara, the novice he wants to marry.
In Berger-Gorski’s montage, the romance between Don Antonio and Louisa alludes to Prokofiev and his wife, Mira Mendelson, who signs the opera’s libretto. “Don Antonio, representing the composer, is present on stage, dreaming and creating his work of passion for Louisa”, says the director.