FULL A Sea Symphony (Vaughan Williams) London 2022 Elizabeth Llewellyn, Jacques Imbrailo
Information on the Performance
- Work Title: A Sea Symphony
- Composer: Vaughan Williams Ralph
- Libretto: from Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass
- Venue & Opera Company: Royal Albert Hall, London, UK
- Recorded: July 28, 2022
- Type: Concert Live
- Singers: Elizabeth Llewellyn, Jacques Imbrailo
- Conductor: Andrew Manze
- Orchestra: BBC National Orchestra of Wale
- Stage Director:
- Costume Designer:
Information about the Recording
- Published by: BBC
- Date Published: 2022
- Format: Broadcast
- Quality Video: 4 Audio:4
- Subtitles: nosubs
- Video Recording from: BBC iPlayer     FULL VIDEO
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THIS PERFORMANCE
Andrew Manze conducts the BBC National Orchestra of Wales in a Prom with an atmospheric nautical theme.
Doreen Carwithen’s powerful and vivid overture depicts the harsh, cold Atlantic waters battering Bishop Rock, 30 miles off Land’s End. Its lighthouse is a seafarer’s last sighting of terra firma as they head west.
Grace Williams’s Sea Sketches, inspired by her home town of Barry in south Wales, capture the sea’s effervescent personality.
Vaughan Williams’s majestic A Sea Symphony, featuring multiple choirs, together with soloists Elizabeth Llewellyn and Jacques Imbrailo, rounds off the evening.
Georgia Mann presents alongside special guests.